Depending on where you live in the country or world, you may be thinking about the impending season ahead. And by that I do not mean fall! The thought of salt, ice, snow, shovels, sub zero temperatures, lack of sunlight, not to mention the work and hazards that go along with all of the above, might have you second guessing where you live. In fact, it really does not matter what age you are. If you are over 12, you are probably done with winter before it begins. However, if you are over 70, the matter changes dramatically. One slip on the ice and life as you know it could change forever. But you can not move, right? Your kids, church, friends, doctors, etc, etc, etc are all local. Do not fret. Moving may not be as drastic as you think. It is time to think outside your box, because there are many housing options for seniors today.
What housing options for seniors are available for you to choose from?
You have options. You do not have to move into “an old folks home”. Today’s options for seniors to downsize are better than ever. Given that you have decided you do not want to deal with the exterior maintenance of a home, here are some options.
Owning Versus Renting
Owning can often be less expensive than renting. Weigh the options before making a final decision.
Living on Your Own
- Single-Family Home in Association-Style Living (exterior maintained for a fee)
- Townhome Style Living with a private entrance
- Condo Living with a common entrance (Is there an elevator in the building?)
- Apartment Living (no real estate taxes or HOA)
- Coop Living, common in many parts of the country (share the costs and burden of owning)
Living with Others in a Community
If being alone and isolated is a concern, there are additional options at varying prices. Although these options can be very pricey, there are gems out there, and professional agencies like Presto can help you find them.
- Independent Living Community
- Room and Board (becoming more popular)
- Supportive Living Community
- Assisted Living Community
- Skilled Nursing Facility
- Board and Care (becoming popular throughout the country)
For even more information on the many housing options for seniors today, visit aarp.org and helpguide.org.
With so many housing options for seniors today, you have every reason to live outside your box. Contact Presto Real Estate Services at (800) 494-1120 or email@example.com for more information today.