Pets foster benefits and add a lot to the life of their owners, but you already knew that. What you may not know is our furry companions benefit our physical and mental health, too. Yes, pet ownership has its benefits.
If you own a pet, can you imagine life without the hours of undivided and unconditional love your pet gives you? Most likely not. All of the love and loyalty a pet gives usually outweighs any annoying habits or persistent needs they may have. In fact, you may enjoy spending time with your pet more than you enjoy spending time with some of your family members! Just sayin’.
Pets foster benefits for people of all ages
Pet ownership benefits children and the elderly alike. Many have found the companionship of a pet to be life-changing for their children and elderly parents. If your loved ones struggle with physical or mental issues, consider how owning a pet could help them. The following reasons may compel you to bring an animal friend home to live with you, right now.
How can owning a pet change a life?
Owning a pet, especially a dog, can:
- Foster a healthier lifestyle. Pet ownership increases the amount of exercise you get each day, as your dog needs to be walked and played with. Pets add structure to your day, because they need regular care.
- Provide companionship and reduce the effects of loneliness or isolation.
- Have a calming effect. Just the act of petting an animal reduces tension and anxiety. A pet can meet the basic human need to touch and be touched. The therapeutic effects of touch can be no less than miraculous for some, especially the elderly.
Pet ownership facts to appreciate
Here are some facts that explain how pets benefit us physically and mentally:
- Dog owners are less likely to suffer from depression.
- People with dogs have lower blood pressure.
- Pet owners have lower cholesterol levels.
- Heart attack patients with dogs live longer than those without.
- Pet owners over 65 years old visit the doctor less than those without a pet.
If you or those you love have physical and mental health issues to work through, consider how pets foster benefits. Play with your dog, take your furry companion for daily walks and pet them often. Then, let us know how pet ownership benefits your life.
Presto Real Esate Services | (800) 495-1120 | email@example.com